Tuesday, July 27, 2010

21st Century Learners

I am looking forward to learning about how I can use digital technologies to provide learning opportunities for my future students. I see on the new and even on television shoppping advertisements the need for knowledge in digital technologies and how the children of today's societied are more knowledgeable and 'tech savvy'. If this is the case I believe it is essential for teachers to tak a hold of technologies and use it in the classroom.

I have learnt that children learn differently and teachers need to be aware of their learning styles. Now I am learning what digital resources are out ther to engage students and enhance learning, for all styles.

Students can find what their personal learning style is from various websites. One that I used to find my learning style is: learning-styles-online.

My main learning styles are: Social, Aural and Physical, as you can see from the image below.




There are many other websites and theorists that teachers can use to profile their students. Howard Gardiner is a theorist that realised students learn differently and developed eight different intelligences and tests to detect those intelligences. You can find more about the Multiple Intelligences here.



Cheers,

Michelle

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    I really enjoyed reading your post you make some very important points. For example you said that teacher's need to be aware of the different learning styles that students have. Digital technologies are great for many different learning styles and I'm learning lots of different ways to engage all students and I'm sure you are too!
    Thanks, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how well did the survey relate to what you think your learning styles are? Do you think it was fairly accurate? And when you talk about the different learning styles, do you feel it's also important to talk about what the differences are between the different learning styles, and supporting the students in being able to learn using any of the learning styles rather than just their primary ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LauraM,
    I definitely agree! I am learning so much about having to engage or enrage students in their learning; and keeping in the back of your mind their style then it will hopefully make our task as Learning Managers a little bit more effective.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter,
    Thank you for your questions. I believe the survey was quite accurate in how I feel I best learn. I had never thought of that before about students being able to use all styles or at least being aware of the others. It is like building and strenthening their weaknesses. So that when they come to a task, no matter what type they can believe they can succeed. Thank you, Michelle

    ReplyDelete