Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Powerpoint

(Flickr)

I am no stranger to powerpoint but I would be the first to admit that I don't know everything about it. As a student in highschool I would use powerpoint with text and pictures to show my class what I would be talking about in an oral presentation. Even as a learning manager I have used powerpoint to try and engage the students and motivate them to learn. I would add motion to the pictures or even add sound or a youtube clip. Now looking back, I'm thinking how could it be engaging.

The Engagement Theory says that 'students are intrinsically motivated to learn due to the meaningful nature of the learning environment and activities.' (Kearsley & Shneiderman, 1999).
This means that for Powerpoint presentation to be engaging the content must be meaningful and allow students to interact with technology.

Some ways we learnt in our tutorial includes using PowerPoint as a test type activity where the student answers questions and when they get it right it takes them to a page that congratulates them and they go onto the next page. PowerPoint could also be used in creating a movie. students can create their slides and upload it to Moviemaker. If PowerPoint is linked with an interactive whiteboard students can interact with the slide presentation.

I look forward to expanding my personal knowledge of Powerpoint so I can use it effectively in the classroom.

Cheers,

Michelle

Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory:. Retrieved August 15th, 2010, from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment